Thursday, September 2, 2010

Navajo Burger

One of the most delicious things I have ever eaten is a Navajo burger my cousin made me. It’s absolutely scrumptious. My family and I didn’t even speak the whole meal, we were so indulged in the tasty burger, as if we were starving. I even finished mine before my brothers, which amazed me. Imagine, two juicy, beef patties with cheese on top cooked on the grill but, instead of being inside a bun they’re inside of Indian fry bread. It’s just like a regular burger with all the essentials, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, onions and tomatoes. Fry bread is a flat but puffy in certain areas, usually round, dough deep-fried in oil or lard. It is very common among many Native American tribes however, was originally from the Navajo tribe of Arizona. When the pioneers and cavalry began to move into the southwestern region, which is now New Mexico and Arizona, Navajo people were forced to move off their land. Like all the other tribes during the 1800‘s, the Navajos had to go somewhere else and placed into camps during this devastating time, they were given very little food. Some of the food the government gave them was flour, lard, baking powder or yeast which are all that’s needed to make fry bread. During those years at the camps, the Navajo did the best they could with what they were given and created a delicious bread used for desserts, to dip in your soup, tacos and burgers. Since then, fry bread has been eaten in all tribes all over. We make it often back where my tribe is in Oklahoma, which is where I had a Navajo burger. At every powwow across the nation, there’s Indian tacos. However, this Navajo burger isn’t as common, in my opinion, it’s even better than an Indian taco. If you ever decide to make some fry bread, slap a burger on it. It’s an experience everyone should have. Navajo burgers are amazing.
Video

No comments:

Post a Comment